Vintage Housekeeping Schedules

Virtual Luncheon - A place to chat and gossip with friends!

Vintage Housekeeping Schedules

Postby KirtlandHill » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:49 pm

I'm a 1940s fanatic and recently came across a housekeeping schedule in a manual published in 1947 by Good Housekeeping. I wanted to try keeping it as a kind of experiment, but there is just so much work packed into each and every weekday! I'm not a Retro Housewife, rather a Retro Bachelor Girl --- so I've always tended to lump all my housecleaning into Saturdays and Sundays --- the polar opposite of this 1947 schedule. Here's a Monday, for example. Monday's a big marketing/kitchen kinda day:

Clean up bedroom:
Hang up night clothes and put away slippers. Make bed. Straighten up bureau, chest of drawers and vanity top. Dust if necessary.

Clean kitchen up after breakfast:
Remove dishes from table and scrape. Put away perishables. Clear away waste. Clean sink. Wash, dry, and put away dishes.

Clean up bathroom:
Replace soiled towels in bathroom with clean ones. Wash bathroom basin and faucets with cleanser and sponge. Clean shower stall and spread out curtain to dry.

Check staple supplies.

Plan meals for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Market and put food away.

Wash, trim, and refrigerate vegetables.

Clean kitchen up after lunch:
Remove dishes from table and scrape. Put away perishables. Clear away waste. Clean sink. Wash, dry, and put away dishes.

Clean kitchen:
Clean range. Wash and air vegetable bins. Clean and wash one or two cupboards, cabinets, or drawers (rotating weekly). Wash garbage can with soap and hot water. Clean soil and fingerprints from woodwork, cabinets, and walls behind sink and range. Wash floor. Dust lighting fixtures. Wash if necessary.

Clean kitchen up after supper:
Remove dishes from table and scrape. Put away perishables. Clear away waste. Clean sink. Wash, dry, and put away dishes. Sweep kitchen floor. Empty garbage if necessary.

Clean up living room:
Collect and discard rubbish. Dust furniture and lamps. Plump up pillows. Stack magazines and neaten room. Use carpet sweeper or vacuum cleaner.

Does anyone out there have any alternative vintage housekeeping schedules that they'd be willing to share? I wonder if there are any period schedules out there designed for the gal-working-outside-the-home...

Thank you!

Bethany in Tucson, AZ
http://homefront.yuku.com --- A Home Online for Fans of Homefront and All Things '40s!
KirtlandHill

Postby Madge » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm a real sucker for everything old. Nice to see someone new here who has the same qualities. If you stay for any length of time-- you will see that all of us here are retro, vintage, or just plain old-- old-fashioned in some way or another. That's what draws me back to this place over and over again. It's been great reading your thread and I hope to talk again soon. Madge.
Madge

Routines.

Postby VBritto » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:50 am

That's pretty cool.

I like the idea of keeping a routine. I have a schedule, but not anything as scheduled as that! :D

I think it's important to manage time at home wisely, to avoid getting sidetracked. Plus it keeps you moving and active through the day.
VBritto

Postby ruralhousewife » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:18 am

I love vintage as well. We have a small house and it's just the two of us so there isn't too much that needs to be done. I have my regular stuff that I do daily - but they don't take much time to do.
I'm falling behind on my main bathroom duties now tho. I HATE washing the tub and it needs to be done.
ruralhousewife

Postby Retromiad » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:55 am

Last edited by Retromiad on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retromiad

Postby retro-dream » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:56 am

I love it!! I have been trying to find something like this for about 2 years now. . . .would you be willing to write out the rest of the week? I know it must be a lot to type but I could love to know. . . .I want to try it too!!! Thanks.
retro-dream

Postby say_tay » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I guess I was vintage and didn't even know it! I have a very similar schedule. I mentioned it on another thread yesterday. It is a spin off of the fly lady system. I can't do "15" uninterupted minutes on a timer, {4 kids}, so I break chores into 5 minute blocks. I can't let a "zone" go for a month, so I divided my home into 5 zones. Monday thru Fri I have a very basic daily routine that I adjust for the zone I am in. The system really works, um.. when I stick to it. My problem in the actually doing the system as planned. But I like the idea of knowing what to do next.
Here's a quick sample of how I have it divided:
Monday is kitchen, porches
Tuesday living, dining rooms,guest room, den
Wednesday Bathrooms
Thursday Kids rooms
Friday Master bedroom
Free Hugs here...
say_tay

Postby KirtlandHill » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Many thanks to all of you for the warm welcome! Here are the Tuesday and Wednesday routines from the 1947 schedule. As you can see there are many chores repeated from day to day. Tuesday's big push is all of the laundry that needs ironing. Wednesday was the day to do an intensive cleaning of the bedrooms and bathrooms - and to polish your silver! Every week!!! It's an intensive schedule, definitely designed for a woman home from sunup to sundown. I'm planning to head to one of the antique markets in my area to see if there are any vintage manuals which might offer some alternative schedules. I love the detail --- and the time-travel part of me would love to test myself with one of these routines: The Great Housekeeping Experiment. If anybody finds another schedule in an old magazine or book, I'd love to see it!

TUESDAY
Clean up bedroom:
Hang up night clothes and put away slippers. Make bed. Straighten up bureau, chest of drawers and vanity top. Dust if necessary.

Clean up bathroom:
Replace soiled towels in bathroom with clean ones. Wash bathroom basin and faucets with cleanser and sponge. Clean bathtub and spread out curtain to dry.

Launder clothing and linens that need ironing:
Sort wash. Soak, hand wash, and air dry as necessary.

Iron clothing and linens laundered in morning:
Dampen as necessary.

Mend rips, holes, or tears in clothing and linens laundered in morning.

Put away clean clothing and linens.

Remove dishes from table and scrape. Put away perishables. Clear away waste. Clean sink. Wash, dry, and put away dishes. Sweep kitchen floor. Empty garbage if necessary.

Clean up living room and hallway:
Collect and discard rubbish. Dust furniture and lamps. Plump up pillows. Stack magazines and neaten room. Use carpet sweeper or vacuum cleaner.

WEDNESDAY
Clean up bedroom:

Clean up bathroom:
Replace soiled towels in bathroom with clean ones. Wash bathroom basin and faucets with cleanser and sponge. Clean bathtub and spread out curtain to dry.

Clean bedroom:
Dust and polish bureau, chest of drawers and vanity. Remove linen for laundering if necessary. Dust mirror, pictures, lighting fixtures and lamps. Wash if necessary. Dust radiator covers and radiators. Clean soil from window sills and areas around door knobs if necessary. Vacuum carpet. Clean closet. Empty waste basket.

Polish silver or other metals.

Clean bathroom:
Clean medicine cabinet, removing unnecessary items. Use special cleanser in toilet bowl. Sweep and wash floor. Wash mirrors. Replace towels, rugs and bath mats with clean ones.

Clean up living room and hallway:

Talk to y'all soon!
Bethany
http://homefront.yuku.com --- A Home Online for Fans of Homefront and All Things '40s!
KirtlandHill

Re: Vintage Housekeeping Schedules

Postby fruit_ella » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:32 pm

KirtlandHill wrote:Check staple supplies.

lol that made me laugh!!
fruit_ella

Re: Vintage Housekeeping Schedules

Postby Retromiad » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:35 am

Retromiad

Return to The Ladies Who Lunch